A. Harthill Motorcycles
In the late 1930s this shop formed part of the Humphrey brothers’ business (now recreated next door). At the Museum it has been fitted out as Hartills motor cycle shop, which was located in Mount Pleasant, Bilston.
Abraham Hartill opened the shop in 1937, having moved from a smaller unit in the same block. He sold mainly second-hand motorcycles, some fifteen or so a week. Bicycles were also sold, and hire purchase facilities were provided. The sale of spares and provision for repairs completed the service.
In the thirties, many motorcycle dealers sponsored competition riders, either by providing free tyres, petrol and oil, or by supplying the motorcycle, fuel, and a back-up service. Large dealers would sponsor Isle of Man T.T. riders, whereas smaller dealers like Hartill’s would support riders in local events. Dealers were very keen on this arrangement because it encouraged young riders to buy larger, faster bikes. On T.T. week the shop would be crowded with enthusiasts, waiting for news of practice times and speeds. The latest T.T. newsletter would be fixed to the window for all to see.
1928 AJS Motorcycle, Reg UK 7411, 799cc
Half Term - It's all fun and games
Festival Announces Headline Act